Sunday, April 3, 2016

Two Cultures

        In his lecture, C.P. Snow explains that while being educated in science, he is also a writer. He has friends in both fields, however the two groups don't interact.



         I have experienced this all my life being a high-level athlete who also values a healthy social life. I am on the Beach Volleyball Team at UCLA, and in fall quarter I rushed a sorority. It was very difficult to manage both, as the two parts of my life never coincided. I was either with my teammates, or with my sorority sisters, never both.


http://www.thesororitylife.com/newsDetail.aspx?id=53



     
        Where I have also experienced this idea of two cultures is being a Canadian going to school in the United States. In Canada, everything that I say is "so American", while in the States, everything I say is "so Canadian" It is when I say "eh" or annunciate the o too much in "sorry" that I get the weird looks and laughs from my American friends, while at home I am ridiculed when I use words such as "bomb" or "gnarly" to describe something cool.
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Canada_vs_United_States


 




        

        I am an undeclared freshman and I have taken classes in both art and science, so I have yet to experience the separation personally at UCLA, but all the time I hear about the separation between north and south campus. 



http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elaina-provencio/the-major-divide-humaniti_b_6582436.html







   
                                                                                             




http://theconversation.com/why-arts-and-science-are-better-together-15004


        In "The Third Culture", John Brockman negates the idea that one day the two cultures, art and science, will communicate effectively. He believes that there is no need for this as there will be an emergence of a new culture. I disagree with Brockman and agree with Snow. It is very important for everyone should be acquainted with both cultures. They are both fascinating,creative, and make crucial contributions to our world. 





http://www.booksandculture.com/articles/2014/marapr/two-cultures-then-and-now.html


Citations

"Athletes are Sorority Women, Too." The Sorority Life. 2016 National Panhellenic Conference Office,  11 May. 2012.        

     Web. 1 April. 2016.
"Canada vs United States." Diffen.com. Diffen LLC, n.d. Web. 1 April 2016.
"The Major Divide: Humanities vs. STEM Majors." HuffPost College. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 2 March. 2015. Web. 1
"The Two Cultures, Then and Now." Books & Culture. 2016 Christianity Today, March/April 2014. Web. 1 April. 2016.
     April. 2016.
"Why arts and science are better together." The Conversation. The Conversation US, 24 June. 2013. Web. 1 April. 2016.








No comments:

Post a Comment